Mental Fitness : The Sportsmind Test
Mental fitness is all about having the skills to handle setbacks. To succeed in sport you really want to have an unshakeable positive mental attitude. The attitude and ability to focus on the solution and the goal rather than problems, obstacles or mistakes.
What we call optimism.
Optimism equates with personal, business, educational and sporting success. People who are the most optimistic are usually the most successful - and this is particularly true in sport. So one measure of mental 'fitness' is how optimistic you are.
The questionnaire you completed offers a simple measure of your personal optimism.
HOW MENTALLY TOUGH ARE YOU ?
Take the Sportsmind test ..............
Circle one response per question, and answer every question even though the situation may never have happened to you. Read each description and imagine it happening to you; then choose the response that is most closest to how you would think in that situation.
1. Situation: You are asked to replace a player in a higher grade who is injured :
A: I am good enough to play in the higher grade.
B: I have filled in occasionally before when needed.
2. Situation: You win a tournament / important game :
A: I was feeling unbeatable that day.
B: I always put a lot of effort into my training.
3. Situation: You do exceptionally well in an interview for a coaching position :
A: I always perform well in interviews.
B: I felt very relaxed and confident in the interview.
4. Situation: Despite being new to the team, you are put in the starting lineup :
A: I was in top form that day.
B: I am enthusiastic and try hard.
5. Situation: You invite a few team mates over for a party, and it's a raging success :
A: I host great parties.
B: I was particularly friendly that night.
6. Situation: You forget to go to training after a long weekend :
A: My mind was still on holiday that day.
B: I always forget when my routine is disrupted.
7. Situation: You lose your cool with the referee during a game :
A: That referee is biased against me.
B: He / She didn't referee fairly in the game.
8. Situation: You put on a lot of weight over Christmas and have trouble getting back to your peak weight and fitness :
A: The diet I tried didn't work.
B: It's always hard to get back into training after a break.
9. Situation: Your coach says something that hurts your feelings :
A: He / She is always very cutting with criticism.
B: He / She was in a grumpy mood and took it out on me.
10. Situation: You've been feeling very tired lately :
A: I've been really busy this week.
B: I don't get a chance to relax.
11. Situation: You successfully resuscitate a person who was pulled from the surf:
A: I stay calm in a crisis.
B: I'm trained in first aid.
12. Situation: Your team is losing, and the coach asks your advice:
A: I know some good plays for pressure situations.
B: I always keep an overall perspective on the game.
13. Situation: You win a 'most improved player' award :
A: I was the most improved player.
B: I had important wins near the end of the season.
14. Situation: Your coach tells you you are at peak fitness level:
A: I stuck to my training program.
B: I'm very fitness conscious.
15. Situation: A team member comments on your confidence :
A: I am a confident person.
B: I've been playing well lately.
16. Situation: You perform poorly at an event for which you've been training hard :
A: The competition was fierce that day.
B: I'm not a natural athlete.
17. Situation: The coach says you're not working hard enough :
A: I'm not as motivated as everyone else in the team.
B: I have been slacking off a bit lately.
18. Situation: Your romantic partner breaks it off with you :
A: I didn't communicate well with him / her.
B: I'm too moody.
19. Situation: You are in charge of a team training session while your coach is sick, and no one enjoys the training :
A: I'm not very good at coaching.
B: I didn't put much thought into the coaching session.
20. Situation: You forget to go to an unscheduled training session.
A: I forgot to check my diary that day.
B: I've got a bad memory for things like that.
Click here to find out how to mark your answers